Super tasty breakfast cookies by Joe C.
Cost: $1 meeeelion
- 1 lb ground pork sausage cooked and drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1/3 cup almond flour fillibert flour is good too. Add a touch more
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Mix it all together and scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper with 1 oz scoops. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes till a little crispy on the edges. Cool and refrigerate
Cast Iron Sourdough Pancakes
Courtesy of John A: Though they take a little initial preparation, they are worth it. You will need to start them the night before and let the sourdough starter do its magic
- 8" cast iron skillet
- 1/2 C ripe sourdough starter See here for making your own: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 C whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar a tad extra for a little sweeter pancakes
- 1 tbsp butter plus more for serving
- 1-2 peeled apples or pears You can also use strawberries, blackberries, or most any fruit or berry
- maple syrup for serving
- Mix the sourdough starter with the flour and milk. Let it sit at room temperature loosely covered with a cloth, overnight and up to 24 hours.
- After the starter, milk, and flour have sat, stir it down and wisk in the eggs, baking soda, salt, and sugar. The batter should be airy and like a milkshake. It it seems too stiff, add just a little milk.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F, with your cast iron skillet inside the oven. Wait 5-10 minutes after the oven comes up to temperature to let the skillet get good and hot. Take the skillet out of the oven (use oven mitts) and swirl in the butter until it melts.
- Add your fruit in a thin layer so that you can still see some parts of the bottom of the pan. If using firm fruits like apples or pears, put the pan on medium heat and let the fruit sizzle a little until it softens a little. If using softer fruits or berries just add the batter right away. Add enough batter to totally cover the fruit and make a pancake about 1/2 inch in thickness
- Return the pan to the oven for 15-18 minutes until the top is evenly brown and the edges are crisp. Flip the pancake onto a plate with the fruit side up and serve hot with more butter and a good splash of syrup.
Microwave banana pudding
From John A: It takes only about 10 minutes to make and is right yummy
- 2 C whole milk
- 1/4 C corn starch
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 1-3 bananas nice and ripe
- heat the 2 cups of milk in the microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Stir half way through
- wisk in the corn starch, sugar, salt into the milk and microwave on high for another 3 minutes, stirring half way through
- slightly beat the 2 eggs. Stir half of the hot mixture into the eggs while wisking and then stir the egg mix back into the remaining milk mixture. (this to prevent the eggs from cooking to a gloopy mess)
- microwave the mix for another 1 1/2 – 2 minutes
- stir in the butter and vanilla
- cover the bowl with cling wrap and cool in an ice bath till cooled (to prevent browning the bananas). Stir occasionally.
- line a bowl artfully with vanilla wafers and alternate layers of the mix, bananas, and more vanilla wafers. I like lots of wafers.
- place covered in the fridge till well chilled and nom on down
Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala
This is so amazingly good with naan and basmati rice. The sauce will want to make you bathe in it.
Cost: $1 meeelion
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or less if you wish
- 1/3 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander yumm
- kosher salt or pink salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger or 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika smoked is really good
- 2 tsp garam masala heaping
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatos 1 can plain and one can rotel is great
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- In the crockpot, combine the chicken, yogurt and coriander. Season with salt and pepper and let marinate for 15 minutes or so
- Stir in onion, garlic, ginger, and spices and add tomatos. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours till the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the cream and garnish with some cilantro before serving over naan or rice.
Crockpot Bean Soup
14, 15, or more bean. More is better. No soaking required. It's just amazing the amount of flavor that comes out of this massive mix of beans. In general you want 4 c. of broth for each cup of beans and scale up or down the other stuff. Hard to go wrong.
- 1 c 15 bean soup mix I like Hurst's HamBeens 15 bean soup
- 4 c chicken broth sub vegetable broth if you are vegeterian
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic or more
- 1/2 tsp chili powder optional
- 1/2 can diced tomatos meh
- 1 lb hambone, or some diced ham or sausage. Or firm squash like butternut
- Rinse the beans and pick out any debris
- place beans and all the stuff, broth, seasonings, etc in crockpot
- cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7-8 hours until beans are tender
- add tomatos if you want them and the flavor packet (you don't really need it)
- cook another 30 minutes if you added the tomatos and flavor packet
Crockpot Pork Chops
Works best with bone-in pork chops. Boneless will be a little bit dry, but still good. Take the time to sear the chops. Makes a lot of difference. The gravy goes superbly on toast or biscuits.
- 4 pork chops thick with bone in is best
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika smoked hungarian is THE best
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped however much you want
- 1 can sliced mushrooms a big can is best
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3/4 c beef broth
- mix the broth and soup in a bowl and have ready
- place the onion and mushrooms in the bottom of the crockpot
- heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chops with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic. Brown the chops 3 minutes on each side
- Remove the chops and add the broth and soup mix to the pan and wisk to get the tasty brown crunchy bits
- Put the chops on top of the onion and mushrooms and pour the soup mix on top.
- Cook 7-8 hours or so. Serve over rice, noodles, spaetzel, mash potatos, or whatever